By Alan J. Kohn
Conus is the most important genus of animals within the sea, happening through the world's tropical and subtropical oceans and contributing considerably to marine biodiversity. The shells of those marine mollusks are prized for his or her striking sort and outstanding good looks. The neurotoxic venoms they produce—injected via a hole, harpoon-like teeth into prey animals which are then paralyzed and swallowed whole—have various pharmaceutical functions, from painkillers to antidepressants. This superbly illustrated booklet identifies fifty three legitimate species of the southeastern usa and the Caribbean, a sector that helps a various yet taxonomically tough workforce of Conus. Introductory chapters disguise the evolution and phylogeny of the genus, and notes on technique are supplied. unique species debts describe key identity positive aspects, taxonomy, distribution, ecology, toxicology, lifestyles background, and evolutionary relationships. The e-book contains greater than 2,100 photographs of shells on 109 well suited colour plates; greater than a hundred extra photographs, many depicting stay animals in colour; and 35 colour distribution maps.
- Identifies fifty three legitimate species—the first reassessment of western Atlantic Conus in additional than seventy years
- Features greater than 2,100 pictures of shells on 109 colour plates
- Blends the conventional shell-character method of id with state-of-the-art shell and radular teeth morphometrics and molecular genetic analyses
- Includes colour pictures of reside animals in addition to colour distribution maps
Read or Download "Conus" of the Southeastern United States and Caribbean PDF
Similar zoology books
This booklet offers a transparent and obtainable account of kangaroos, exhibiting how their reproductive styles, social constitution and different facets in their biology lead them to good tailored to Australia’s harsh weather and significant setting. because the final version of this e-book approximately twenty years in the past, even more is referred to now concerning the biology and ecology of those iconic animals.
This ebook is meant as a systematic source for cannabinoid researchers undertaking animal and human experiments, and in the event you have an interest in studying approximately destiny instructions in cannabinoid study. also, this booklet should be of price to investigators at present operating open air the sphere of cannabinoid examine who've an curiosity in studying approximately those compounds and their abnormal cannabinoid signalling.
Nucleosides, Nucleotides, and Their organic functions comprises the lawsuits of the 5th overseas around desk on Nucleosides, Nucleotides, and Their organic functions held at examine Triangle Park, North Carolina on October 20-22, 1982. individuals concentrate on the organic functions of nucleosides and nucleotides, besides advances in man made chemistry.
A lot of Charles Darwin's groundbreaking paintings as an evolutionary biologist stemmed from his learn of birds. it really is universally stated that Darwin's statement of fowl teams and species just like the Galapagos finches, mockingbirds, and rock doves used to be severe to the advance of his theories on typical choice, evolution, and sexual choice.
- Chitin: Formation and Diagenesis: 34 (Topics in Geobiology)
- Greater Sage-Grouse: Ecology and Conservation of a Landscape Species and Its Habitats (Studies in Avian Biology)
- Schwann Cell Development and Pathology
- Hypsodonty in Mammals: Evolution, Geomorphology and the Role of Earth Surface Processes
- Physiology and Electrochemistry of Nerve Fibers (Biophysics and bioengineering series)
Extra resources for "Conus" of the Southeastern United States and Caribbean
"Conus" of the Southeastern United States and Caribbean by Alan J. Kohn